Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Vacation

We spent last week visiting my parents in Ohio. The kids got to stay an extra week at the grandparents without their nagging parents, so they won't be back until Monday. Everyone had a great time at Cedar Point for two days, seeing the new Harry Potter movie, and just enjoying time with Grandma and Grandpa. Hopefully, I won't have to do too much deprogramming when they get back.

I've been spending the week doing all those things that pile up in the house and preparing for our August unit on Japan. I've ordered real abacuses (I hope that's the plural) that we're going to learn how to use as part of math. We're also going to study samurai, ninjas, and of course history, language and geography of Japan. I still have a lot of reading and prep work to do, but I'll be ready before August rolls around. I haven't quite decided what their final project will be, but it might include another newscast and a viewing over a traditional Japanese meal with some of the family.

This summer has brought lots of travel for everyone and I've been able to see some of Tom's family that we rarely get to visit with. It has been so wonderful to see the interest that everyone has in what we're doing with the kids. I spent a while last Saturday chatting with Tom's cousin Kristen about homeschooling. It's funny how just having these discussions with people reinforce our decision to home school. When you're in the middle of all the work, it's easy to forget why you chose to be there in the first place. Talking about it with other people is a wonderful reminder, and really seems to re-energize me to continue. Despite the struggles, we really are doing the best thing for their education.

Lots of people have started to volunteer to teach something to the kids. I'm going to have to get together some kind of schedule and make sure this gets done. I think it's a great idea that they're exposed to different teachers. Everyone does things differently, and they need to know how to adapt. My mom is going to teach a course on American Government. Their grandpa Jim wants to teach some geography. Tom will be teaching a course in basic programming and logic skills the week of Thanksgiving. I know I'll certainly enjoy sharing some of the teaching burden! So if you're interested in teaching a class, let me know and we'll work something out.

Lastly, Happy Birthday to our Zoƫ!!! She's 8 years old today.

No comments:

Post a Comment