Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Holes and Rocks

This week we started our geology unit. The kids have had a great time learning about the different kinds of rocks. So far they've studied igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks. Their first "lab" was to test 5 different rocks to figure out what kind they were. I remember doing that in college labs! They did streak tests, hardness tests, acid tests, and magnetism tests on each sample. They both did great, and were able to identify all 5 samples correctly (the samples were hematite, magnetite, calcite, quartz, and talc). It worked out really well, because Aiden decided to do more math while Zoë did her experiment. That way they came up with their own answers and did the tests on their own. They did a great job understanding the differences in the types of rocks. Of course I'm thrilled to be teaching this unit. (For those of you that don't know, I actually went to college to become a geological engineer before I decided to switch majors).

Everyone is busy plugging away at their ALEKS math. I'm so proud of Zoë. She is constantly feeling like it's "too hard," but each day she continues to work out the problems. I just keep reminding her that the reason the pie pieces aren't filled in is because there are things she doesn't know how to do, and with most things it seems hard when you don't know how to do things. They both had assessments to complete this week, and they continue to progress through the level. I usually sit in the computer room working on other things while they work on their math, so I'm available to answer questions and keep Aiden focused. I've noticed that lately Aiden has needed very little refocusing, and seldom asks questions. When he does ask a question I can just remind him to click "explain" and he figures it out from their explanation. Zoë prefers to have me read the explanations to her, but gets frustrated with herself so easily. Usually after she's mastered the problem in only 3 examples she realizes that it wasn't that hard, and she actually did well.

So far the only problem we have with math is that all of the computers are in the same place. Aiden likes to think out loud and Zoë needs quiet. So in an effort to fix that problem I moved my computer out into the kitchen. Of course now it isn't working! I've spent the last week trying to diagnose the problem and now I'm waiting on a fan to arrive so I can fix it. Until then we still have lots of "Aiden be quiet!" going on. Next week is our week off, so I should have it ready to go by then (if not, I might take a bat to it!)

We're reading Holes for our literature unit. This week we'll cover the first 12 chapters. Hopefully they'll really like this book. It seems like a good one so far.

Aiden has finally taken a liking to reading. In the last week he's read half of the Gregor the Overlander series. The first book he read in one day. Fortunately, I've read them too, so we've had some great discussions about the books. The other night he had to read a part to me, because he was so excited about it. I was amazed at his ability to read every single word! A few times he would stop to ask me what a word meant, but he could always pronounce them. His intonation and phrasing has really improved as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment