Thursday, March 19, 2009

Plasma...it's not just a fancy TV

After much anticipation we spent the day today studying plasma, dark matter and Bose-Einstein condensate. Yeah, I didn't know what they were either!! Leave it to Aiden to ask questions that require a lot of research. He told me that his books kept mentioning plasma, but didn't tell him what it was. This was nothing short of torture to a precocious 6 year old. So after several Science Friday podcasts, wikipedia pages, and google searches, we discovered what the 3 other phases of matter are. Ask Aiden or do the research yourself if you're interested. Maybe we should get him a summer internship at CERN! Honestly, the hardest part was understanding the research enough myself to put it in terms that he would get. This difficulty was compounded by the fact that we have never discussed protons, neutrons and electrons.

Our day also included a trip to the doctors office. Aiden just wasn't getting any better despite the fact that his fever disappeared. Turns out he has strep throat and an ear infection. The doctor told me with a smile "he must have a high tolerance for pain. I bet it runs in the family." He's probably right. All I could think of was 21 hours of labor with a nearly 10 pound baby and no drugs. Some might call that a high pain tolerance!

Zoƫ has been going stir crazy with no one to play with. She has spent a couple afternoons helping her grandma in the yard just to find something to do. Sometimes I forget how much fun she is to hang out with. Her wit constantly makes me laugh. I'm glad I've had a lot of time this week to spend with just her. Her intelligence is so much more subtle, that it can be easy to forget how brilliant she is!

I was reminded today that we need to do another family newsletter. I'll whip the troops into line and put one together for everyone. There's certainly no shortage of items to include these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment