Friday, April 3, 2009

Long days

When I started this blog I intended to make about 3 posts per week. That barely seems plausible at this point. It seems like Fridays are the only days I get a chance to sit down while my brain is still functioning enough to write!

It has been a busy week as usual. On top of schooling I've been trying to get together everything to order for next year, meet with an attorney to make out our will, refinance the house, and try to fit exercise back into my routine. I'm still extremely bitter that about the only time I have to myself is from 5:30-6:30 am! I abhor mornings, but I guess it has to be done.

Aiden is still working on matter. He's also memorizing multiplication tables and created a background for a fictional character. Zoë is wrapping up her literature unit about ancient Egypt and the Middle Ages. We adapted the project in the curriculum to be a movie about some of the differences between now and the Middle Ages. She spent part of the morning working on the storyboard for the movie. Filming should start Monday. She's also doing the character background and multiplication tables.

Yesterday we spent the afternoon at Heather's house letting the kids play together while Heather and I got the curriculum orders figured out. Aiden and Maddison (5 1/2) played a duet together of Allegro (Aiden's favorite piano song). Maddi was on the violin and Aiden played the piano. The problem was that the songs were in a different key. Although both did a great job playing their parts, together they sounded worse than a horde of dying cats. It was worth the grueling sound to see the excitement on their faces when they finished though. They were both so proud. Zoë and Aiden were happy to see that they have friends who have to practice music too.

Tomorrow starts soccer season and at night we have tickets to see the 5 Browns at Powell Symphony Hall. We get to meet them before the show since we're part of the Suzuki Piano Institute. Apparently, the Browns were Suzuki trained as well. The kids are really looking forward to this. So are Tom and I actually! I think they will like seeing what a group of young people can do on the piano.

Sunday we're hosting dinner for some friends. I've planned a big Italian style dinner complete with homemade focaccia and chocolate cake among 3 other courses. I always enjoy the opportunity to cook for other people, but it is a lot of work! One of these times I'll actually plan something simple instead of these ornate meals that require days of preparation. At least the kids are getting to the age that they can help and not just make a bigger mess of the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you have found another "family", sounds like a pretty good match so far. I've been a little crazy the past 3 weeks preparing my mom and stepdad for the move to a new villa which took place this past Saturday. Am taking a day of rest today finally. Don't give up on taking time for yourself, it is so important to our well-being. Take care!

    ReplyDelete