Friday, May 1, 2009

More testing

I'm still stumbling over where to put Aiden for math. He's been spending most of his math time for the last 2 weeks continuously doing tests or pretests. I've been looking through the Saxon stuff again, but this time for the middle grades. I'm going to request a sample and see how that turns out. The younger stuff was entirely too repetitive for either Zoë or Aiden, but maybe they've gotten past that for the middle school grades.

I still have a little bit of lesson planning to do for the next school year, but that's looking good so far. My challenge will be to figure out how to get each of the children to think on their own. Having them do the same curriculum requires a lot less time, but it can cause some lazy thinking. I find it interesting that already if a math question is asked, Zoë won't answer, but if it doesn't involve basic math skills Aiden won't answer. Of course this isn't true every time, but certainly a majority. I have a few ideas to balance this, but I'm sure more will come up as time goes on.

2 comments:

  1. You could just teach the kids a new concept every other day or so. . . not worry about going through the text. (They are definitely ready to start 2-digit X and Long division!) I don't think I showed you what we do for problem solving?? I have a couple different things I do with the kids. . . . It's more challenging and I feel gets them to start thinking about math more than just repetitive drills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see that stuff. I guess I'll start Aiden on 2-digit multiplying tomorrow. He should like that.

    ReplyDelete