Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A time for reflection

Although the kids have JET on Friday, tomorrow is our last day for the year. For the past few days I've been feeling very discouraged about my ability to continue this and if they're actually learning anything. So today I sat down and went over some of the things they have worked on in the last 3 months. Wow, what an amazing feeling that has been! Here's a very small summary of what they've accomplished since Valentine's Day.

Aiden has one more chapter left in the fourth grade math book (which he probably won't have to do because it's measurement, and I doubt he'll score below 90% on the pretest). That means technically he's done 3 years of math in 3 months time. He has read at least 5 chapter books, learned 4 songs hands together on the piano, built countless machines using legos, kinexs, or marble runs, learned about photosynthesis, force, friction, inertia, momentum, done at least 15 science experiments, learned 100s of facts about volcanoes, learned about ancient Greece and Rome, studied WWII and can tell you how the war started, completed 5 beautiful art projects, has asked thousands of questions... The list goes on and on. My fantastic homeschool tracker couldn't even keep track of all the things we've done!

Zoƫ is only a few chapters behind Aiden in math. I couldn't possibly count the number of books she's read since February (she gets about 6 books a time at the library), studied Ancient Egypt Greece and Rome and the Middle Ages, written several short stories, learned about several famous people including an in depth look at Benjamin Franklin, learned about the California Gold Rush, built dioramas, created her own civilization called "Pixia", written and preformed in several skits/plays, created 100s of craft/art projects, also knows all about volcanoes, made us laugh 100s of times with her witty humor, and really seems to have a much better sense of herself and her abilities.

Not only have we done all of these things and much more, but somehow we've managed to keep the house relatively clean, continue a social life, and had lots of time to just play. Of course we have run head on into several road blocks, but in the end we have navigated around them. I am completely overwhelmed at all we have done when I reread through this post. I'm not even sure why I've been having feelings of doubt. Perhaps it's the perfectionist in me that can always think of one more thing that could be done instead of focusing on all that has already been done!

Overall, I couldn't be happier with their progression. My only real goal for the past 3 months was to undo the negative things they had learned in public school, and get them back to being excited about learning. Even if we had done nothing else, at least I can say we have certainly met my goal of being excited about learning. The rest is really icing on the cake to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what they accomplish for the 2009-2010 school year. Imagine what I can do with them for an entire year!! Anyone know any good math tutors? At this rate I'm going to need one.

3 comments:

  1. You have absolutely NOTHING to feel discouraged about! I may try to make a list of everything my kids have done this year. I am also a perfectionist; part of the reason Haley tried out school this past year. I didn't think I was doing enough. The list is a great idea. Keep up the great work. . . your kids are in an awesome learning environment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your husband rocks at Math! :-) I am so proud of you for taking such a leap and for following your gut. I think rachelmom deserves a nashville trip for working so hard! The hiking is good right now and it finally stopped raining. :-) call me tomorrow when you are free. Let's figure something out. me there or you here... xo So proud of you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great summary. Keep up the good work - your special kids will thrive in this environment!

    ReplyDelete