Monday, May 3, 2010

Long overdue update

I've been so busy thinking about our future, planning lessons, and instituting a new incentive system that I didn't realize it has been almost a month since my last post. Of course there was also planning a vacation, interviewing cleaning services, several trips to the vet, etc... Needless to say things are busy.

In two weeks Aiden has his book one piano recital. We've sent out invitations and he's been practicing every day. I've been amazed listening to him practice. He's been able to practice exactly the things he needs to improve. He'll play each hand separate and repeat sections over and over until he gets it right. Apparently, he's extremely motivated for this performance!

We had a wonderful field trip to the zoo last week with the Nuehrings. All the kids talked about how the animals had adapted. They did a great job applying what they've learned and reading the signs about each animal.

Our "fantastic" school district has decided to throw us for a loop starting next year. They've introduced a new schedule that will result in JET not being on one set day of the week. I still haven't decided what we're going to do. I have the schedule through December, but any snow day would change it for the rest of the year. Basically, this schedule change will make it impossible to have any semblance of a normal schedule, and it will be extremely difficult to do anything weekly. Just writing about this is making me angry!! How in the world are children and teachers supposed know if they're coming or going?! This also means we won't be sending Zoƫ to art next year. It really feels like the last resource our district has for gifted children is being taken away. I might be able to work around it for a semester, but we won't be able to do any other weekly activities!

Next time I'll share my new incentive program. Right now I'm all worked up and need to relax before we start classes in 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment