Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Another Time for Reflection

With most kids returning to a new school year, I find myself spending a lot of time reflecting on our goals for school and learning. After quite a bit of research, thought and discussion we're trying something new again. This ability to change gears is one of the things I love most about homeschooling. We've decided that the kids could stand to have even more autonomy and freedom to learn about things they're interested in learning. So with Google as our inspiration, we're starting our own "20% days."

I've decided that the most important things the kids need to learn are math, writing and other forms of communication, how to set and achieve goals, and music. The later is important for developing mathematical skills, but more importantly for understanding how to master something by working on it every day. I think the other 3 things are obvious. At this age I think the other things they learn can be more interest driven.

I thought that I was providing them autonomy in regards to their learning by giving them a weekly task list. When I actually analyzed this, I discovered that it's really veiled control. So we've changed things quite a bit. Instead of telling them exactly what they need to do for the week, we've sat down and decided completion goals. Then we broke things down into smaller goals and discussed how they would approach those. Their only requirement is to meet the goals that they have set for themselves. My job will be to make certain they're on target.

Today was our first day to discuss these goals, and we haven't finished setting them for everything. We have done math goals for both, and Zoë's piano goals. It was refreshing to hear their ideas, and to see that they are so responsible. They were able to set challenging, but not unobtainable goals. We got out the calendar and made charts for them to keep track of everything. I'm sure this will be a big adjustment, and there will be times that I'll need to lay down the law, but in the end I think they will be better people and feel a strong sense of pride for accomplishing things on their own.

With goals set (or being thought about) for 80% of their work, that leaves the 20% days. Aiden has decided his independent project is going to be the planets. He wants to prepare a newscast/presentation discussing all the planets and the chances of humans being able to colonize each one. This could end up being a huge project that takes us all over the place. I can already see how to incorporate math, science, writing, problem solving, and psychology into just this one idea.

Zoë has decided she wants to learn how to make movies. She is going to turn one of her favorite parts of a book into a screen play, film it, and edit the movie. She'll have to make all the costumes, the sets, the script, and learn how to use editing software. This can also involve the history of film, budgeting, and perhaps some special effects.

If all that change wasn't enough, I've also redone the rewards system. I've been worried lately that having them earn rewards for completing tasks is no different than the things I hate about public school. It's just that the tasks they do are more challenging to them. So instead, we're going to do things the way we run allowance. At the beginning of each week I'll give them 10 chips. They can spend or save them however they want. The bronze, silver, and gold prize system is still in effect, but they're given a base pay now. Bonuses can be possible, but they will be random. Also, no chips may be spent on tech time before 3pm regardless of whether or not they've finished school for the day.

Overall, I'm much happier about these changes. I feel like we're really heading toward my goal of self-actualized people. Of course, I'm sure things will need a little more tweaking as time goes on, but nothing is ever truly mastered. I'm also trying to ignore the fact that the reasonable goals they have set have them finishing all of high school math in the next 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment