Sunday, November 8, 2009

NAGC

I was very lucky to be able to attend the National Association for Gifted Children's national convention here in St. Louis this weekend. The tone for the day was set by an amazing young woman who performed her poem "Well". I knew from that moment it was going to be a good day. Here's Ms. Phillips reciting her poem at the 2009 MSA. Trust me when I say it's worth a viewing and have your kids watch it too.



I learned several things that were helpful, and reinforced the idea that we're on the right track. I met several people in the gifted field who offered their help and gave me lots of ideas including a new math program to try, and a searchable database for books that use age AND reading level to sort. One of the most interesting things I learned was really something that my intuition had already told me. That is that gifted children for some reason will not retain knowledge that they already know if they're forced to continuously repeat the task. I found this out through math drills I was making the kids do. Aiden (who's strength is math) was getting worse as each day went on while I was making him do fact quizzes. At least I learned quickly, and after about a week of doing the quizzes I stopped. Thanks to Heather's advice we're back to quickly progressing through math and he's doing fine now.

It was also interesting to see that over half of the parents in one of the seminars geared toward highly gifted kids were homeschooling their children. All of the mothers I talked to after the seminar had too much difficulty with schools, and their kids were thriving at home. I also found out that of the parents whose children were either of high school age or older only one of the kids out of about 6 graduated from high school. The rest of them tried a semester, went back to homeschooling, and started college early.

Due to some discussions I had, we're trying something new at home. The kids are going to have a weekly list of tasks that must be accomplished by Friday night. I'm not going to structure the days for them. Instead they can do the things on their list whenever they want. This way if they're enjoying working on the science stuff, they could spend all day with science if they wanted. Zoƫ has already told me that she's planning to do her math every day so she doesn't end up with 5 math assignments to do on Friday. How great is that! An eight year old who recognizes that math is her least favorite subject and she's better off doing it in small pieces instead of overwhelming herself. That is priceless knowledge!

It was wonderful to be surrounded by over 2500 people who care about educating our most neglected group of children. I feel refreshed, reassured, and armed with new knowledge. Now I just need to find some time to sort through all of the information I got and start saving for some of the amazing summer camps they have at colleges around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment