Sunday, November 22, 2009

Unit Ends

We spent last week trying out the new math program and doing the final projects for our unit. The kids had a lot of fun making posters explaining the three laws of motion and "catching dreams" for the BFG.

The ALEKS program has been a huge success so far. Both of the kids love the independence it provides and the immediate reinforcement for mastering problems. In four hours of work both of the kids mastered over 30 concepts. That pace scares and amazes me! That's at least 10% of a year's curriculum in 1 week. Apparently, I've been holding them back even the way I'd been teaching math.

It has also been working well to give them a weekly list of tasks to complete. Even though I was sick two days last week, they got everything done without me pestering them.

They're looking forward to the programming class their dad will be teaching Monday and Tuesday. I'm looking forward to taking two days off!

No comments:

Post a Comment