Thursday, February 19, 2009

The first week

Although I wouldn't say quite yet that we've settled into a routine, things have definitely been pretty smooth so far. I do think we are well on our way to meeting my overall goal of getting the children back to being excited about learning. Every day they have pursued their task lists with enthusiasm and vigor. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how much they have learned in really just 3 days of work. They have poured over books, webpages and documentaries hunting for answers and piecing things together.

They decided today that for their final presentation they are going to make a movie about volcanoes. We've spent the morning diagramming the information they've gathered on our giant dry erase board, forming an outline, and working on ideas for the movie. All next week will be spent organizing facts and writing scripts. I'm guessing that the movie will be ready sometime in early March. I thought this would be a great way for them to creatively express all of the things they have been learning. It will certainly be more fun than a plain old report or power point presentation! By the way Nana, don't be surprised if they hit you up to make costumes for the set (they need a silver suit like a volcanologist).

I have learned a few things this week that I'm still mulling over. I still haven't quite found the line between challenging and too much. One assignment in particular Zoƫ hated and was finally able to express to me. I had to remind her that I'm new to teaching and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if she said she didn't like something. Eventually, she was able to tell me what the problem was (too much writing), and I will adjust things in the future. I expect this to be a process, so I have no problem continuously evaluating how things are going and making necessary changes when needed.

Tomorrow they go to JET and I will be able to get some of the things that have piled up over the week done. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to some time alone, but I'm not in the least bit excited about spending the time doing laundry and cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment