Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Who knew shoestrings were a metaphor?

As we're rushing to get ready for our last Tuesday of school, I found myself having to untie a extremely difficult knot in Aiden's shoe. After several minutes of struggling to get it undone I said to him, "you know, if you didn't pull so tight, this wouldn't be so hard to undo." It was just an offhand comment said out of frustration. Aiden looked at me thoughtfully and then said, "you know, I think that's the hardest thing about life. If you pull too tightly, things just can't be undone."

Throughout the day my mind has traveled back to this simple statement. The more I think about it, the more profound and insightful it seems. He is so right! There are so many examples of ways that people "pull" on things or people that in the end are very difficult to undo. We make statements to try to "pull" people toward our way of thinking. We drag others through situations or places they don't want to be. The tighter we pull, the harder it is to undo the turmoil that is created. Maybe if we were all cognisant of that idea, we would all be a little gentler with each other.

I'm getting much closer to being ready for next week. I've almost finished my research for the next few weeks of lesson plans, and I have a solid idea on paper about what we're going to do and what information they need to know. We mostly have the room set up (just a few minor organizing details left). A big GIANT thank you to Laura for her generous donation of a flat screen monitor and some cork and wipe boards, and my mom for 2 cpus and a filing cabinet. Thank you so much Laura and Mom! Tom's going to spend the evening upgrading the computer with XP and a different video card we have leftover from something, so I can load some of the educational software I've found. After that's done, we're set!

No comments:

Post a Comment