Monday, February 16, 2009

Off and running

As I expected the day went great. Everyone seemed thoroughly excited to turn over our new leaf and happily completed their assignments and chores. Who knows how long that happiness will continue, so I'm enjoying it while it's here. It is wonderful to see my "little sponges" return. With wide eyes filled with wonder they devoured all the information I could give them. It was the first time in a VERY long time that when someone asked them "what did you learn at school today" they not only had an answer, but were excited to share it! Now my job will be to remember that feeling when things get more difficult.

We started our day by entering "the portal" to the school room. Everyone was ready early for class, so we dove right in. They both started by entering their spelling words into their spelling journal. After that was finished, they both did their pretest for the math chapter. Then we went on to read together from our magic school bus book about volcanoes. After a chapter of reading together, the kids split apart and read to themselves, entering in any definitions they found for their spelling words. We also researched different types of lava, had a discussion about why the lava is different, and watched short clips of eruptions. They also did a typing lesson and another lesson in their math book. I'm amazed at what they accomplish in a rather short period of time. The afternoon was spent doing art at the Painted Pot with Nana.

I've already noticed that the math isn't challenging enough for Aiden. I had planned on having him work diligently through the grade 4 book I got for him, but I'm rethinking that idea at this point. Instead, I think I'll have him complete pre-tests for each chapter until I find one where he actually gets some answers wrong, then we can start from that point. There's no sense doing assignments based on skills he has already mastered. I honestly had no idea he was that far ahead!

The plan is to spend at least the rest of February studying volcanoes. After that we'll move onto the curriculum I purchased to finish out the school year. We also have a science experiment with tomato plants ongoing. Zoƫ hasn't decided how long she will be collecting data on that yet. My guess is it will be completed when grandma starts planting her garden and adds our tomato plants to it.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,

    My neighbor, Kim, said if you ever want to talk about curriculum or home schooling, she'd be more than happy to talk with you. I saw her last night and it was great to see how excited and motivated she is. Her boys love school at home and are doing great. No longer bored with school.

    Tricia

    P.S. Barb and I missed you today. If you ever need girl talk- give us a call. We'll meet you for grown up beverages once Tom gets home or something:) Just not on Thursday night or he might revolt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up, Heather. I'll add it to my list to read.

    ReplyDelete