Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Nine more days, but who's counting!

We are all filled with excitement about the prospect of home schooling. Aiden asked me this morning if he could just start now. Panic set in at this statement, and all I could think of was how unprepared I felt. We spent a while this weekend getting the room in the basement all set up, and I've been researching and gathering information for over 2 years really, but for some reason I'm just not quite prepared to make the leap. I feel like I need nine more days!

The math curriculum I ordered came yesterday, and I'm sending it back today! Although I'm sure Saxon math is great for many families, it simply won't work for ours. It is entirely too repetitious, and although I gave the kids a pretest, it's still below their ability level. Something tells me that I'm going to run into a lot of this. The school doesn't even know the kids' ability level! We've decided to start with the Spectrum Math grade 4 workbooks. No wonder the kids are bored in school, Aiden is 6 and Zoƫ is 7 and they should be doing 4th grade math!

We're keeping our hopes high that the science and social studies curriculum is better. It is supposed to be for gifted children, but we'll see. We may end up taking the unschooling route for a while just because there is little available that isn't religious based and made for gifted children.

I am loving the homeschool tracker program that we got. It enables me to keep track of the things we study, time spent studying and even will create a daily agenda for each of the children. That was a great feature for me, the queen of to do lists!

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for the kids. I have no worries about you being able to successfully educate them, only that it is a lot of work for you. Too bad you can't use the 'audio-visual method.' That's where the kids stay home and watch Oprah. :)

    There are lots of Rachel Carpenters that have wishlists on Amazon. I found yours (Rachel J.) but maybe you can put a location on like the first few Rachel Carpenters. It would make your list much easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange. When I click on the link at the right, it takes me right to my page. Might be because I'm logged into my account at amazon though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Rachel from Cathy,

    It is so awesome that you are homeshooling the kids! You are both wonderful parents and anyone causing you to defend your motives and actions should shut the hell up.

    I am excited to hear more about this and anything that I can contribute, let me know!

    Love,

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete